Friday 3 June 2011

We're cheaper than ASDA

The journey back from Alexandria didn't start well.

I thought the agent said 12.30 but could have been one o'clock. I was getting angst at 12.45 but holding my nerve, well at least I thought I was but that bubble was burst when the Four Seasons guy approached me asked a couple of questions and reassured me that the guys picking me up were probably just praying - it was Friday - and because it was Friday was only 15 minutes away.

By ten past one and unable to reach anyone by phone - did I mention it was Friday? I was on edge, just as I was about invoke a Four Seasons service solution when the guys turned up.

After that the journey went well, the train quiet, the trolley man able to speak english, the porter not too greedy and Ahmed on the platform to welcome.

The journey to the relatively new Fairmont Nile City was uneventful. We avoided Tahrir Square which wee due to have demonstrations today - did I mention it was Friday?

Getting checked in was however less straightforward. I think the welcome was warm however I couldn't hear it over the drilling from jack hammers in the lower lobby. My company credit card declined - Laura thought it was amusing that the reception guy enquired if I had sufficient funds in my account. Not a great start.

The Fairmont room itself was great, large, modern, well equipped.

We went next door for a bite to eat before checking out the roof top pool and bar. Unfortunately as it was after 6pm the pool was closed and the roof top destination bar with panoramic views of the city was coming soon.....

Laura wanted to return to Khan el Khalili - the bazaar area of old Cairo to buy some gifts. It was Friday and we didn't fancy the regular taxi's so using the excuse that dinner in the shopping mall restaurant was a lot less expensive than the hotel meal I had initially planned we treated ourselves to a town car for the journey there and back.

The Fairmont staff redeemed themselves from the earlier less auspicious start but sorting the car and changing some cash into small bills.

Now the Khan el Khalili area is like most bazaar areas, wall to wall shops selling stuff from the same wholesalers, guys touting for business, children at your shoulder trying to sell trinkets.

It is generally good natured stuff, the banter friendly and a polite but firm no or shake of the head sufficient for them to stop.. Laura as you would expect received a fair bit of attention, shouts of my angel.... I love you. One guy delivered in jest the immortal line 'how many camels for your daughter sir'. It's fast, intensive and a lot of fun.

In amongst all of the shouts of 1/2 price today, I make you special price two calls made us laugh - they were 'we are cheaper than Tesco' and 'we are cheaper than Asda'. Funny.

Returning to the hotel we had a night cap in the first floor (tiny) bar. The two bar men very friendly and of course the conversation turned to football. It would appear we were in Cairo thousands of miles from their home grounds in the presence of a Liverpool and Man Utd fans. No surprise there then.

Tomorrow we have a half day at the pool and then begin our journey home.


P
Peter Jackson
Mobile: +44(0)7887 794396

Sent from my BlackBerry from Vodafone- so please excuse the brevity and the typing mistakes!

Please reply to pj@rede2.com. Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment